When the question of renewal or getting of the passport arises, India like all the other countries has its own rules and formalities that should be fulfilled by every individual looking forward to do so. According to the 1967 Passport Act, the passport in India was established as the most important and primary document which provided the right to every citizen to travel internationally and was regarded to be the proof of the Indian citizenship while the Indians are abroad.
Steps to apply for the Indian Passport
There are two procedures in India for getting a passport.
- The first is through applying in person
- The second is through the Tatkal system where one needs to submit the filled in application form along with the other documents through his e-mail.
Other than the forms which are to be filled up, there are also a few documents that are to be submitted along with the application form. The document providing an individual’s date of birth is to be provided-usually a birth certificate does the work but for the illiterate applicants and special cases, an affidavit which has been sworn before the magistrate or the secondary school leaving certificate can be produced. Secondly, one should have his current address proof, a certificate from his employer, and utility bill and in case of the minors a copy of passport of his/her parents.
The ones who are using the Tatkal system to apply for the passport online also need to submit three of the documents mentioned below:
- Service Photo Identity Card issued by the State or the Union Government
- Elector’s Photo Identity Card
- Identity Card of Freedom Fighter
- Certificate of OBC/SC/ST
- Arms License
- Pension documents
- Property documents
- Ration cards
- Railways Identity Cards
- Birth Certificate
- Driving License
- Students Photo Identity Cards
- Passbooks of Bank/Post Office/Kisan
- Gas connection bill
- PAN Card
- Aadhar Card by the UIDAI
The residents of Nagaland and Jammu and Kashmir who are serving the government or are retired government employees need certain other documents for applying for the passport. The detailed information on these additional requirements can be checked on the official website of the CPV. The local PSK and DPC officials can also provide information on the same.
The users of Tatkal have to follow the rules that are stated on the website for filling up the e-form and have to schedule an appointment with the local PSK. The users will be getting a receipt of the application having an appointment number which is to be printed and shown at the local PSK. The platform also allows the users to track the status of their passport applications. It is recommended to not miss the appointment that has been scheduled and the user should carry suitable photographs with them.Sponsored Links
Renewal of Indian Passports
The Tatkal system has made the renewal of the passports really fast. Along with the filled in e-form one also needs to submit the documents:
- A copy of the passport’s first page and last page of an individual along with the page having the info of ECNR and the individual’s signature.
- A current address proof like a utility bill.
- For adding the name of spouse, a copy of the marriage registration certificate is needed.