The fundamental prerequisite for every Indian for travelling abroad is the Indian passport. This legal document is issued by the Indian Government for every Indian citizen for enabling them to travel abroad either for business or for personal purposes. There are three different types of Indian passport- the regular passport, the diplomatic passport and the official passport. The regular type is issued for all the citizens who want to travel abroad for business purposes and for spending vacations. The diplomatic passport is issued to the diplomats and the government officials and the official passport is issued to those who represent the Government of India and move on an executive business.
Step by step guide for applying for the Indian Passport
The passport of India has got a deep blue cover and also has a symbol of India on the cover. It has got a 36 pages note from the Indian President. This note is a proof so that the bearer of the passport as per the international norms. Other details that are included in the passport are:
- The place of issue
- Date of expiry
- Signature of the passport holder
- Passport number
- Complete address and much more.
Passport Status Passport Renewal
For having an online application for the passport one needs to follow the steps below:
- The documents that are to be submitted vary with type that one selects. The documents that are generally needed for getting the passport is proof of birth date which can be produced by giving the copy of the birth certificate, affidavit or the school leaving certificate. The other important documents which are also needed are the electric bill, documentation of one’s marital status, assessment order for income tax and many more.
- One can get the application form online by visiting the official website of the Government of India that deals with the Visa and Passport. One simply needs to download the e-form.
- The details are then to be filled up and the form is to be submitted online. One should provide with authentic information while filling up the application form. Then click on to ‘Schedule Appointment’ where the appointments are provided on a particular date and time. Then the application receipt needs to be printed.
- One should know the exact cost for applying for the passport online and one should pay the due charges. They can be paid online through the net banking, credit cards and all the other options related to it.
- It generally takes six to eight weeks for getting the Indian passport. One should always submit the documents that are required immediately as per the requirements. One is expected to have his passport within the time scheduled.
Things to remember
One can seek help from the experts who want to process their passports and Visas. Make sure that these experts are efficient. One will have to provide the documents that are needed for ensuring they get the correct type of passport. The time taken for processing the passport depends on the type of passport one has applied for. Renewal of the passports is important after its expiry.
The Passport Seva is much more efficient in the ways through which one can get his passport. The residents of India are always recommended to keep their passports up-to-date if any necessary changes have occurred in their details as it is of extreme importance. The status of the passport can be easily checked through the Passport Seva with a simple click as it gets updated constantly which helps one to know in which stage of the application process he currently is and here one also gets to know whether he will have to submit any other documents along with the time for their submission.
Finding the status of the passport through Passport Seva
After the online application form has been filled up on the website of the Passport Seva, one will be provided with an alphanumeric number which contains 15 digits which is a combination of both numbers and letters. This code is found on the Acknowledgement Letter. This letter is the paper that one receives when he exits the PSK. It is also mailed to the individual who has completed his online application. If one has not received the code or letter due to some error, he should immediately contact the customer service of the Passport Seva by visiting the homepage of the website from the drop down menu of CONTACT US. The alphanumeric code on the Acknowledgement Letter is assigned for representing the specific application of every individual. This code is helpful for quickly getting the status of the passport without any delays. The code on the letter appears after the name of the applicant on the top of the right hand of the letter just below the bar code. It is listed after ‘File Number’. Before visiting the website of the Passport Seva, this code is to be copied.
Passport Online Passport Renewal
Steps to be followed after visiting the website of the Passport Seva
After entering the homepage of the website, the blue box is to be looked for labeled as ‘Apply’. It is found in the middle of the page. Here, one gets four choices:
- Existing User Login
- New User Register Now
- Application Status Track Application
- Appointment Status Check Availability
One needs to select the option of ‘Application Status Track Application’. Click on it and get the three options under the headline of Track Application Status:
- Application Status
- RTI Status
- Diplomatic Official Application Status
The appropriate option is to be selected by keeping in mind the type of the application one has filled. If one does not know it, one can select the option of the application Status. One has to simply click on to the circle given on the left side of the option and a black dot appears on the circle which indicates the choice.
Entering the file name of one’s Passport Seva
After selecting the correct option for tracking the application status of his passport, one has to enter his File Number from the Acknowledgement Letter in the correct box along with the date of birth of the individual whose application is being tracked. Click on to the button ‘Track’ which will open a page having all the information one is looking for.
When the question of renewal or getting of the passport arises, India like all the other countries has its own rules and formalities that should be fulfilled by every individual looking forward to do so. According to the 1967 Passport Act, the passport in India was established as the most important and primary document which provided the right to every citizen to travel internationally and was regarded to be the proof of the Indian citizenship while the Indians are abroad.
Steps to apply for the Indian Passport
There are two procedures in India for getting a passport.
- The first is through applying in person
- The second is through the Tatkal system where one needs to submit the filled in application form along with the other documents through his e-mail.
Passport Online Passport Status
Other than the forms which are to be filled up, there are also a few documents that are to be submitted along with the application form. The document providing an individual’s date of birth is to be provided-usually a birth certificate does the work but for the illiterate applicants and special cases, an affidavit which has been sworn before the magistrate or the secondary school leaving certificate can be produced. Secondly, one should have his current address proof, a certificate from his employer, and utility bill and in case of the minors a copy of passport of his/her parents.
The ones who are using the Tatkal system to apply for the passport online also need to submit three of the documents mentioned below:
- Service Photo Identity Card issued by the State or the Union Government
- Elector’s Photo Identity Card
- Identity Card of Freedom Fighter
- Certificate of OBC/SC/ST
- Arms License
- Pension documents
- Property documents
- Ration cards
- Railways Identity Cards
- Birth Certificate
- Driving License
- Students Photo Identity Cards
- Passbooks of Bank/Post Office/Kisan
- Gas connection bill
- PAN Card
- Aadhar Card by the UIDAI
The residents of Nagaland and Jammu and Kashmir who are serving the government or are retired government employees need certain other documents for applying for the passport. The detailed information on these additional requirements can be checked on the official website of the CPV. The local PSK and DPC officials can also provide information on the same.
The users of Tatkal have to follow the rules that are stated on the website for filling up the e-form and have to schedule an appointment with the local PSK. The users will be getting a receipt of the application having an appointment number which is to be printed and shown at the local PSK. The platform also allows the users to track the status of their passport applications. It is recommended to not miss the appointment that has been scheduled and the user should carry suitable photographs with them.
Renewal of Indian Passports
The Tatkal system has made the renewal of the passports really fast. Along with the filled in e-form one also needs to submit the documents:
- A copy of the passport’s first page and last page of an individual along with the page having the info of ECNR and the individual’s signature.
- A current address proof like a utility bill.
- For adding the name of spouse, a copy of the marriage registration certificate is needed.